Sunday, January 4, 2009

Scrapbooking Pages of Scotland

Better Late Than Never

Hard to believe it has been over 2 years since out trip to Scotland. Our trip lasted 3 weeks and was also our long awaited honeymoon, seeing our trip to Niagara Falls for me was a bust. Honeymoon Capital please and a good dose of SAR'S would put a damper on any ones trip.

Scotland was for me our true honeymoon. We flew direct from Ottawa into Glasgow via Zoom Airlines (which is no longer in business) and I felt like I had arrived home. I don't know why but every time I think of Scotland my heart aches. If you said to me Jo-Ann you could live anywhere I would say Oban, Scotland when do I pack. I love the history, the romance, the rolling hills, the rain, the food, the Gaelic language. You simply can't persuade me otherwise that's where I want to die. For my last days on earth, for my last breath it is Scottish air I will breath.

All that said here is a little sample of the pages that I have done so far.

By the way did I mention graveyards are one of my favorite places to visit, grave stones have a beauty all of there own and the older the better.



Glasgow Cemetery - The Necropolis

Glasgow has one of the most beautiful graveyards I have ever seen, (I warned you) not only is it massive, but it is located pretty well in the heart of Glasgow, near the cathedral. JC and I spent at least 3 hours wandering around looking as the massive headstones, reading the inscriptions and of course the rain.

Glasgow is like Ottawa but better seeing it was declared official a city in the 12th century it has a bit more to offer. We love Glasgow, the city is clean, easy to get around (they have a very small underground rail) the food is unbelievable, we enjoyed a variety of cuisine from Thai, Indian, Italian, I must admit I don't think we had a bad meal the whole time we were there. If you are ever interested in going I can suggest some fantastic restaurants.






Skyline of Edinburgh

The Dugald Stewart Monument is a memorial to the Scottish philosopher Dugald Stewart. It is situated on top of Calton Hill, overlooking Edinburgh city centre.The monument was built in 1831 to the design of architect William Henry Playfair, and modelled on the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens, Greece. It therefore fits in with other Greek-influenced architecture in the area, such as the National Monument. Below is a picture of this overlooking the Edinburgh city center.



Dunrobin Castle Northern Scotland

We fell upon Dunrobin Castle by accident and thank goodness. We were on our way to the most Northernmost point of Scotland and decided to take some back roads and came upon a sign and decided to check it out and we were not disappointed. Dunrobin Castle is huge, the gardens are massive and the history well you know me and history. If you manage to get to this Castle you have to see the Falconry demonstration by Andy Hughes, who is a professional resident Falconer. Falconry is the ancient art of hunting with birds of prey and a must to see.


2 comments:

danelover said...

your pages are beautifully done..i too know the feeling you speak of...i was born in scotland and i tell people it's a place that gets into your heart and never leaves...

Kim said...

Hi Jo Ann,
I stumbled onto your blog while googling 'scrapbooking scotland' and i enjoyed seeing some of your photos! I am not one to visit a new blog and 'lurk' so i thought i would say hello! ( and tell you i also admire your Stampin' Up projects...i too enjoy their rubber stamps as a hobby! )
My family travelled to Scotland this past August ( wow, only 4 1/2 months ago...) and I am trying to motivate myself to get going on my scrapbook album from our trip. My 10 year old daughter is a Highland Dancer ( for 6 years now ) and this was the main reason for our trip...to compete...amongst others, of course! We have family there who we stayed with a few days, and like your previous commenter said, 'once you get Scotland into your heart, it never leaves' is sooooo true! I wish to move there someday and be where my roots are ( and i'll take rain ANYDAY over our -40 winters in Winnipeg, Manitoba!! )
hahaha!!

thanks for the chat!
Kim
:O)