Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bundle of JOY Diaper Cake

So Cute Great Center Piece for Any Baby Shower


This is the second diaper cake that I have done and I love it, from the colours to the stamp set to the smell of those diapers. LOL I could make hundreds of these they are so much fun and honestly easy to make. I am actually thinking of putting on a class if anyone is interested.

Anyway here are the three steps to get started and what you need to make your own almost editable Diaper Cake:
  1. Choose your theme colours.
    (for this one seeing the customer didn't know what sex the baby was we stuck to blue, green and yellow)
  2. Choose a Stamp Set Bundle of Joy
    (NOTE: This stamp set is retired but I still love it and thought it was perfect for this)
  3. Have fun.

Supplies

2 packages (60 each) diapers (size 14-22 lbs)
Large elastic rubber bands
card stock (so saffron, certainly celery, bashful blue, and whisper white)
tape runner
hole punch
grommets (for this you need both tape runner and grommets to keep bands together)
various flower punches different sizes
Sucker sticks (Bulk Barn)
ribbon (theme colours)
Cake plate (cardboard from Bulk Barn)






  1. Take 3 diapers rolling each one individually and wrap with rubber band so they form a neat row for outer circle, keep doing this until you form a circle.With the circle formed, start rolling (in threes) creating a bundle and fill in the center of the circle.

  2. Once the circle is compete cut your bands of paper (mine was 2.5 high by 12 wide x 4 pieces). Each band was taped together and then I punched holes and with the grommets reinforce the bands, one at the top and one at the bottom.Then I started to fill in the center rolling one diaper at a time until it was nice and tight.

  3. Then I started on layer 2 and then 3.

  4. Once all three layers are complete then the fun begins, decorating. I have seen other samples of diaper cakes where gifts have been added but I prefer it to be less cluttered and more about the ribbon and paper. Thus keeping the cost to a minimum.

Approx time 2.5 hours Skill set: beginner

1 comment:

CeeCee said...

This is so adorable. I know what you mean about Bundle of Joy... it's my favorite baby set. Too bard it's retired. But I can't part with it.
Your project is absolutely beautiful! TFS
CC